Good news for internet users – bad news for content providers (ex. IFPI and the recording industry).
The French internet proposal to create a class of digital outcast, also called “three-strikes” (or graduated response) has been turned down by the EU, both the commission (Wednesday this week), and the parliament (September 24th). According to the French proposal, internet users would have their connection cut off if they have been found to repeatedly violate copyright.
The “Bono Amendment” was approved by a large majority of MEPs and the amendment states that:
“No restriction may be imposed on the rights and freedoms of end users … without a prior ruling by the judicial authorities” – language that forbids moves such as those currently under consideration by French lawmakers.
Earlier this week, we read how Sarkozy tried to persuade Barrosso to kill the internet decision in a letter. But Reding has different opinion. She said (according to the EUobserver):
“that the parliament’s amendment was an important re-statement of citizens’ fundamental rights, and that cutting off someone’s access to the internet also cut them off from searching for jobs, from health records and a range of other vital information.
Swedish EU parliamentarian Christofer Fjellner said in a comment: “What’s important about this decision is that now it’s clear that you can’t force [internet service] providers to ban people from the Internet without a legal process.”
Interview with Fjellner by internet activist Squaring the Net: